History of Establishment Medical Education Program
Universitas Airlangga (UNAIR) established in 1954 had a long story before finally became a higher education in Indonesia. Dokter Djawa School or School of Jawa Doctors established in Batavia in 1851 was the root of the higher education in Indonesia.
In 1902 the institution was reorganized and became School Tot Opleiding van Indische Artsen (STOVIA). Based on the Government Regulation “Besluit van de Gouverneur van Netherlandsch Indie” Number 4211 the School of Doctors known as Netherlandsch Indische Artsen School (NIAS) was established in Surabaya on May 8, 1913. At the beginning, NIAS, located at Jl. Kedungdoro 38 Surabaya, was inaugurated on July 1, 1913. In the meantime, the Medical Education was commenced on July 15, 1913.
During the Japanese colonial era, NIAS was closed in 1942 and later was dissolved to “Ika Dai Gaku”. When the Japanese authority ended in 1945, the Indonesian Government took over and changed it to the Medical College of the Republic of Indonesia. Unfortunately, during the Dutch aggression, the college was closed and in 1948 was then changed into Faculteit der Geneeskunde Surabaya Branch as the branch of the Medical Faculty Universitet Indonesia.
The establishment of Universitas Airlangga on November 1, 1954, was based on the Indonesian Government Regulation Number 57 the Year 1954 whereas the Medical Faculty and Institute of Dentistry Science in Surabaya were separated from their “parent”, namely, Universitet Indonesia. On November 10, 1954, the President of the Republic of Indonesia, Dr. Ir. Soekarno officially inaugurated the establishment of Universitas Airlangga as the third Public University in Indonesia after Universitas Indonesia and Universitas Gadjah Mada.